The BMF runs a comprehensive range of industry specific and specialist training courses that can be run regionally or “in-company” and are accredited as appropriate to national standards for employees of merchants, distributors and suppliers, from yard staff to company directors. Training ranges from on-line product knowledge to specialist skills training. The BMF also offers apprenticeships through its Apprenticeships Plus Apprentice Training Agency (ATA), the BMF Diploma in Merchanting for trainee managers and a Foundation Degree in Merchanting awarded by Birmingham City university. Courses include:
• Apprenticeships and NVQ’s
• BMF Diploma and Foundation Degree in Merchanting
• Distance Learning in Customer Care and Health and Safety (IOSH Certified)
• Transport training from CPC driver training to Transport for non Transport Managers
• One to four-day course in general management, staff development, operations, sales and management
• MOL product modules and BMF Campus on-line product training
The BMF has now introduced a Postgraduate Diploma in Merchant Leadership & Strategy for experienced managers that will be awarded by Birmingham City University and which can lead directly on to a Masters Degree.
The BMF are striving to recruit new talented young people into the merchanting sector in all areas ranging from yard work to sales and from manufacturing to marketing. The BMF has launched a dedicated website www.merchant-recruitment.co.uk to promote careers and jobs in merchanting and list job vacancies with BMF members. The website is also supported by promotion on social media and the BMF working in partnership with Jobcentre Plus.