Our History

  • 1908

    The first trade organisation to include the words 'builders merchants' in its title was the Builders Merchants Alliance Ltd, formed on 2nd April 1908.

  • 1936

    The Builders Merchant Alliance survives until 1936 when its approves new articles of Association to become the Builders Supplies Credit Association (BSCA).

  • 1938

    The British Federation of Plumbers Merchants is formed (BFPM).

  • 1942

    The Building Industry Distributors is formed (BID).

  • 1961

    A merger of the BSCA, the BFPM and the BID forms the National Federation of Builders and Plumbers Merchants.

  • 1975

    BFBPM purchases 15 Soho Square, London W1 for its Head Office.

  • 1978

    BFBPM changes its name to Builders Merchants Federation.

  • 2013

    BMF moves from 15 Soho Square to new premises at 1180 Elliott Business Park in Coventry and launches new corporate identity and new BMF website.