History

1908
 
 
The first trade organisation to include the words "builders merchants" in its title was the Builders Merchants Alliance Ltd, formed on 2 April 1908.
1936
 
 
The Builders Merchant Alliance survives until 1936 when it becomes the Builders Supplies Credit Association (BSCA).
1938
 
 
The British Federation of Plumbers Merchants is formed (BFPM).
1942
 
 
The Building Industry Distributors is formed (BID).
1961
 
 
A merger of the BSCA, the BFPM and the BID forms the National Federation of Builders and Plumbers Merchants.
1975
 
 
BFBPM purchases 15 Soho Square, London W1 for its Head Office.
1978
 
 
BFBPM changes its name to Builders Merchants Federation.
2013
 
 
BMF moves from Soho Square to new premises in Coventry and launches its new corporate identity and website.
2016
 
 
The BMF opened its first Regional Centre of Excellence designed to strengthen the organisation's regional presence. The highest membership figures in 20 years. 560 member companies with combined sales in excess of £22bn and 109, 000 employees.